Unified Communications (UC) transform the way organizations that facilitate contact with other people communicate through any type of device and in any location; this results in an improvement of business processes and customer experiences. Organizations need information and CU to facilitate the flow of information to accelerate the decision-making process, respond more quickly to customers, and reduce latency in communications among employees. CU technology connects communication applications such as voice, video and audio conferences with collaborative applications such as calendars, email, web conferencing, instant messaging and presence, through an open standards platform, so that companies achieve greater agility and capacity of response.
Forrester Research has surveyed more than 420 companies in sectors such as retail banking, manufacturing and education in six countries, a new identification of the areas in which organizations have communication difficulties, and the quantification of the scope of solutions what CU can provide to solve these problems. The survey participants were provided with a description of CU functioning in some situations, and asked if these new capabilities would increase their ability to communicate with the majority effectively. The situations include the typical scenarios that were specified for each vertical sector. The survey did not identify any specific product or supplier.
The survey evaluates the main communication situations common to most organizations: support for mobile employees, delays in business processes, knowledge of the cause between personal problems and problems of response to personal problems. Although each sector has its own priorities, the improvement of business agility, the reduction of costs and the increase of the productivity of the employees are the factors common in all.
CU offers organizations a value that can be quantified and that generates tangible benefits in business processes. Although each area has its specific requirements, the need to use effective ways and reduce delays is common in all sectors. The advantages of CU can be found in many business activities and include the following applications:
• Quickly contact the experts and those responsible for making the decisions. CU allows employees to determine the availability of experts and managers, and get in touch with them quickly through any device, regardless of their location.
• Improvement of team collaboration. Teams in a project can start Audio, video and web conferencing quickly, just check your status quickly and click on the names to start a conference call. • Provide more effective support to remote workers. The remote workers they have on their mobile devices all the business functions (including presence capabilities) that allow them to use the same applications as the employees who work in the centralized locations.
• Accelerate problem solving. With the ability to contact other people and share information regardless of location, problems can be resolved in less time and minimize their consequences.
• Facilitate training sessions without trips. Interactive web collaboration makes It is possible for employees to receive training courses at local locations and eliminate expensive business trips.
• Consolidation of application management. CU allows organizations consolidate the administration and management of applications, and centralize support operations.
• Improve response times in emergency situations. The capacity of contacting other people quickly through any device and with a single number allows organizations to quickly notify individuals or groups about critical situations that require attention.