Collaboration is a fashionable term, as was "Thinking outside the box" or as it is "innovation", so beyond following trends without meaning, it would be really important to assimilate it as a contribution process; It is the creation from the meeting.
With technology unleashing traditional office traps, organizations are realizing that facilities must be designed so that people can collaborate. Collaboration allows for quick sharing of knowledge, increased workflow efficiency, strategic commitments and a sense of community.
If the game of "success" (which has the opposite of failure) is left aside in the internal process of establishing relationships within a company, and ways of making contribution (which do not have an opposite) are looked for, then it can be Focus on shared objectives and visions from the perspective of the contribution for maximum effectiveness.
For this reason, the Mexican company Multimedia published the ones that consider the 10 commandments so that the collaboration in your company is really effective and productive:
- Be explicit. Never say "we will do X thing" because then it will never happen. Whenever there is a follow-up issue, indicate the responsible person and the expiration date.
- Learn to handle the conflict. Considered a corporate dysfunction, the fear of conflict slows down actions and moves away from meeting objectives. Conflict is important - managing it skillfully can expose important problems, help team members improve their performance and bring people closer together.
- Create an online workspace, together: Do not make your online workspace the sole responsibility of the administrative assistant. Instead, work as a team to identify the structure and learn the collaboration software. This joint process will lead to greater adoption and greater accountability.
- Ask questions, do not assume. Asking questions instead of making assumptions and actively listening to members of your team can not only create a culture of camaraderie, but also provide transparency in your responsibilities and expectations. It can also reduce stress levels and tensions that can sometimes arise when working closely with others.
- Be reliable Having a group of people with different ambitions and egos will mean that everyone will not always agree. Reliability creates trust, and without it, you do not really have a team, you just have a lot of people working together reluctantly. Being part of a team means having to depend on others to fulfill your part of the bargain. The success of a team depends on the efforts and the contribution of all its members. This is especially the case of teams that have members that work remotely.
- Use technology and take advantage of it. The reasons for using the collaboration tools are quite simple. As a vital element of effective collaboration in the workplace, they offer their team a centralized solution where all project work can be announced, shared, updated and executed.
- Use the cloud Communication and collaboration are now easier than ever thanks to cloud technology. Employees can access and use the data wherever there is an Internet connection, allowing them to work from home, on the road or even abroad. Fortunately, benefitting from the cloud does not require an all-or-nothing approach. In contrast, the adoption of a hybrid cloud strategy allows you to integrate the public cloud with your local solutions. Without sacrificing security or simplicity, you can use this strategy to harness the collaborative power of the cloud and break down barriers between teams.
- Let people think alone Not everything is resolved with meetings. Concentration and flow are as important to the workplace as collaboration. In the same way that ideas must be exchanged, there must also be time and space for the creation of new ideas, which is best done alone. Achieving that balance can be achieved to a large extent through the strategic design of the office, which then extends to the work culture of the organization. People are more creative when they enjoy privacy and freedom from interruption.
- Use the video conference. In the modern mobile workforce, video calls, screen sharing, virtual meeting rooms and online chat as what Multimedia-Video offers are the cornerstones of the collaboration. While one is not better than the other, it can be discouraging to find the best way to facilitate effective and productive collaboration when no one is under the same roof; Making employees collaborate virtually is similar to doing it in person, which means that you have the tools and skills, you just have to use them differently.
- Unleash the power of software. Today there are hundreds of digital and virtual tools to accelerate collaboration: think of the Google suite that allows you to chat or make texts, presentations and collaborative spreadsheets or in an internal platform for collaboration and monitoring of projects with chat included as Slack ; On the other hand HelloSign allows you to obtain the signatures you need without having to print, sign and re-scan documents. This is ideal for remote organizations that work with self-employed and contracted workers.
In fact it is enough that you do a research with regards to your collaboration needs and the browser will offer you dozens of free, paid, open source, cloud-based or implemented options on your servers. There is no longer any excuse, the world has opened and we no longer depend on a physical and fixed work space. Remote collaboration is at your fingertips.